Learning something new everyday!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spontaneity

Don't you just love it when your planned lessons are enhanced by a little "spontaneous combustion" so to speak?  As I have mentioned before, I am being challenged to keep up with technology in the classroom and so far love (with a little hate here and there) the experience. I am learning to let go of idea of the perfect lesson in place of the I will make mistakes and learn along with, or from, my students. I do find this giving up a little of the control in the class very difficult, but when things start to fall into place and everyone in the room begins to adjust to their new roles fluctuating between instructor and learner, the results are amazing!


Just before the break I had an art lesson planned using plasticine in the style of Barbara Reid. While my supplies and books to get ideas from were organized and the students were excited, I was still missing something.  Enter my fabulous colleague from across the hall, Ms. Leech, who is also doing the same activity only she is showing her students a youtube clip of Barbara Reid modelling her techniques. So, with the ease of having the Smartboard already setup my students too were benefitting from Ms. Reid's expertise within minutes. Here was the missing link to enrich my students experience with this activity.  In opening our doors and allowing others to see in and interact (teach, share and learn) with us, we all may benefit.  Yes, I do find the thought of others seeing me teach and make mistakes in the classroom  humbling to say the least, but isn't that what I'm asking of my students?  I'm trying!

I am beginning to see the possibilities of further allowing my students the opportunity to share their learning on a more global platform and interact with others around the world.  Exciting! I would love some ideas for direction and opportunities.

5 comments:

  1. We make a good teaching team. I am excited to see how we can further inspire our students with the use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need a third grade one teacher at your school ladies? I love how you are inspiring one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by you Lora. Your courageous leap into 21st century learning is admirable, as well as humbling. I look forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the internet and all the possibilities it offers sharing enriches our lives.
    I did a project with plasticine a long time ago with 18 grade one students. The class wrote a collective story of 9 sentences and the students illustrated the story; two students per illustration with plasticine. IT was just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Joelle. That is a fantastic idea. I'll have to give that a try this year!

    ReplyDelete